Questions and Answers
1. Q: Do I have to report testing (193100) and case management of IEPs (198600) if teachers do it during their plan time and/or before and after school?
A: Testing and case management only need to be reported as separate assignments if minutes are dedicated to those functions. Therefore, if testing or case management of IEPs is done during plan time, before/after school or on an as needed basis, no assignment is needed.
2. Q: How do I report paraprofessionals/aides?
A: Special Education aides or paraprofessionals (K-12) can be reported using the appropriate teaching code (most likely 195000 or 195010) or 888200. In order for ECSE aides to be pulled over to the ECSE expenditure report, the aides must be coded with 195400 (ECSE).
Personal Aides are reported as Delivery System PA with the appropriate Course Code (usually 195000). Minutes/Week should reflect the minutes per week for each course code. Other line information should reflect the student to whom they are assigned, i.e. Grade Level and Program Code.
3. Q: How do I report special education teachers who co-teach with a general education teacher?
A: Report the special education teacher with the appropriate special education course code (begins with 19), delivery system of CO and a caseload number reflecting the number of students with disabilities in the co-taught classroom. Report the general education teacher with the appropriate general education course code and student assignment listing which includes all students in the class. The general education teacher should NOT use the CO delivery system.
4. Q: Are we required to report ECSE personnel?
A: Yes, you need to report ECSE personnel on MOSIS October Cycle because the data are used for the ECSE Expenditure Report. Most ECSE teachers will be reported using course code 195400 with a program code of 17 (3 yr, 4 yr, 5 Pre-K).
5. Q: How do I report speech/language pathologists?
- For teaching assignments, report as Direct Service/Instruction Speech /Language Pathology – Course Code 195500 and position code 60 (teacher).
- For non-teaching assignments, such as diagnostics or oversight of speech implementers, report as Course Code 889000 and position code 90 (ancillary).
6. Q: How do I report speech implementers?
A: Use course code 19550 (Speech/Language) and position code 60 (teacher).
7. Q: How and when should consultation be reported?
A: a) Consultation time with other teachers that is written into IEPs and is student directed is reported as course number 193000 – Consultation. This time would most likely be in the IEP under Supplemental Aides and Services or as Support for School Personnel.
b) Consultation time that is used for collaboration for co-teaching purposes would most likely be reported as Plan Time.
c) Incidental consultation (daily/on-going) would not be reported separately. This time would most likely be included with other minutes already reported.
d) Consultation time with special education students would be reported using a direct service/instruction course number.
8. Q: What delivery systems should be used for special education teachers and aides?
A: Codes and definitions are in Exhibit 14 of the Core Data Manual. Appropriate delivery systems for special education teachers and aides include:
- CO – Co-teaching
- IG – Individual/Small Group
- SC – Self-Contained
- LI – Low Incidence Self-Contained
- PA – Personal Aide (Position Code 80 only)
9. Q: How do we report educators who are employed by one district (fiscal agent) but who work in another district (participating district)?
A: The educator will be reported by both the fiscal agent district and the participating district in the following manner:
- Fiscal Agent District:
- MOSIS Educator Core File: Report educator information, including salary
- MOSIS Educator School File: Report educator/school information, including salary and FTE
- MOSIS Educator Assignment: Report educator/school/assignment information, using the Program Code 09. Generally use the appropriate special education assignment code, but the generic 880010 (Contracted Services) code may be used.
- MOSIS Student Assignment: Would generally not have any student assignments to attach to an assignment with Program Code 09
- Participating District:
- MOSIS Educator Core File: Report educator information, showing $0 salary. Report the fiscal agent county/district code in the Fiscal Agent field
- MOSIS Educator School File: Report educator/school information, showing 0 FTE and $0 salary
- MOSIS Educator Assignment: Report educator/school/assignment information, using the Program Code 19. Use the appropriate special education assignment code
- MOSIS Student Assignment: Report the student assignment lists for educator assignments, as appropriate
10. Q: Do we need to report contracted personnel and, if so, how do we report personnel that we contract with to provide special education or related services?
A: Yes, all personnel providing special education or related services to students with disabilities must be reported. Report individuals with whom you contract using Program Code 19. These personnel would not have FTE or salary information reported. Use the appropriate special education assignment code(s) and report the appropriate minutes for each assignment.