Special Education Listserv
Subject: Improvement Planning and Self Assessment File Reviews Through IMACS
Source: Margaret Strecker, Director, Compliance, and Heike Imler, Interim Assistant Director, Effective Practices
Intended Audience: Directors of Special Education and Special Education Contacts
Date: December 18, 2007
The improvement planning function in IMACS is now available for district use.
Improvement Plans: The Improvement Plan format is used by districts applying for improvement grants; conducting self assessments, if required during the year before MSIP based on performance data; and, as a requirement resulting from special monitoring activities such as focused monitoring on-site reviews or disproportionality reviews.
* Grant districts
* A letter of intent must be sent to DESE by January 7, 2008, in order to be able to enter proposed budget information into the improvement plan. Letters of intent can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 573-526-5946.
* For more information about the grants and for electronic examples of the letters of intent, see the 2007-08 Grant Award Packet found at http://www.dese.mo.gov/divspeced/DataCoord/GenSupIndexpg.html.
* The expenditure year entered with budget items must be 2008-09 (year in which the funds will be spent).
* Self assessment districts
* The improvement plan page in IMACS will tell you which performance areas must be addressed through objectives in the plan. These decisions were based on the best of either 2006-07 performance or performance over the past three years. Small numbers were taken into account as well.
If IMACS indicates that there were no indicators below target for your district, you are not required to complete an improvement plan for self assessment purposes.
* If the improvement plan for self assessment purposes will also be used as a grant application, you must submit a letter of intent (see information for grant districts above).
* A district completing an improvement plan for both grant and self assessment purposes will submit one improvement plan that addresses the grant area(s) as well as the self assessment requirements.
* If your district submitted an improvement plan for the 2006-07 school year (grant or self assessment), that improvement plan will still be in IMACS. Just make whatever additions/changes/updates are necessary for the 2007-08 submission.
Self Assessment File Review: The file review function is not yet available in IMACS. We will notify districts as soon as this becomes available.
IMACS Demo: A demonstration of IMACS is available from the webpage listed above. The demo is approximately 15 minutes and discusses IMACS access and the improvement planning component of IMACS.
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Division of Special Education
P.O. Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone: 573-751-5739 Fax: 573-526-4404