Subject: Online Grants and Plans System
Source: Heidi Atkins Lieberman, Assistant Commissioner
Intended Audience: School district staff
Date: April 23, 2007
DESE is designing a new online system to simplify and consolidate numerous
grant applications and planning documents.
Over the past several months, a DESE team has been looking at the processes
currently in use for grant applications and planning documents that are
required by this agency. Our staff has focused on these challenges and
* Review the processes now being used by all state and federal programs.
* Eliminate redundancy.
* Design a consistent, consolidated system for districts to submit grant
applications and required plans.
* Design a system that allows school district leaders to articulate the use
of grant money to support the objectives of applicable plans.
There are several opportunities for school district personnel across the
state to participate with us in this major project:
* Reviewing the general design of the project, reviewing draft web pages,
and making suggestions to improve the functionality of the system.
* Testing the system at various stages of development.
* Hosting regional meetings when DESE is ready to demonstrate the new
We believe this system has the potential to serve as a model for other
states, because it embraces both state and federal programs and because it
will enable school officials to directly connect various funding streams
with required plans and specific school-improvement objectives.
If you are interested in participating in some aspect of the development of
this new system, please contact Bette Morff
Randy Rook (firstname.lastname@example.org)
in our Federal Programs unit.