1. In the box below, make a detailed sketch of what you visualize as you read the passage. (R1G; 1.6)
1 Points – Response includes a detailed sketch using information from the passage.
1 Point – Response includes a sketch with some details from
0 Point – Response is incorrect.
2. Write a question you have about what you read. (R1G; 1.6)
1 Point The question is text-based and logical
0 Point Other
3.. Complete the outline by recording and organizing important information from the passage. (W3B5; IL1C5; 1.6; 1.8)
3 Points: The outline includes a title, two subheadings, and four relevant details to
support the headings.
2 Points: The outline includes a title, a subheading, and at least two relevant details to
support the heading.
1 Point: The outline includes a subheading with a relevant detail to support the heading
0 Points: Other
4. Use one of the heading sections from the passage “Life Under Slavery” to write a summary of that section in 20 words or less. Include key words or phrases from the text. (R1H; W3D; 3.5)
Read the passage below. Then fill in the Sum-It-Up chart.
· Summary Statement contains complete main idea of passage
· Summary Statement is concise using 20 words or less
· Summary Statement contains a somewhat complete main idea
· Summary Statement exceeds 20 words
5. Using the list below, add a prefix and suffix to each root word to create a new word. Use a dictionary or glossary to write a definition for each new word. (R1E; 1.6, 1.5)
2 points: Response includes completed table for both words with correct/reasonable information.
1 point: Response includes a partially complete table for one word with correct/reasonable information.
0 points: Response is incorrect
6. Study the poster for a few minutes. Form an overall impression of the poster and analyze individual items. Use the chart below to list people, objects and words or phrases in the poster.
PART A (IL2A; 1.5)
Response accurately identifies applicable techniques for each media source that are used to convey the message of the hardships of war.
Response partially identifies applicable techniques for each media source that are used to convey the message of the hardships of war.
PART B (IL2A; 3.5)
Response is a complete summary statement using at least 2 details from the media sources to support the message of the hardships of war.
0 points: Other