Writing with Parallelism
Use parallel structure and complete the following sentences by putting an appropriate word or phrase in each blank.
1. Jeff went to the store, visited his grandmother, and __________________________.
2. Dave was able to run, shoot, and __________________________ better than any other player in the school.
3. After visiting the shore, I wrote home for my fishing line, my tackle, and ____________________________.
4. I am proud of her because she is knowledgeable, well-organized, and _____________________________.
5. Watching television and _____________________________are two of my most enjoyable hobbies.
Rewrite each of the following sentences, correcting the faulty parallelism.
6. The leader of the group was industrious, talented, and a wit.
7. Using a pen is a better way to write than if you use a pencil.
8. The doctor said I could cure my cold by drinking fruit juice and if I got plenty of rest.
9. After high school I want to study music or to be a nurse.
10. Baking cakes, taking walks, and to visit friends are good ways to use leisure time.