LESSON 1B: The Three Little Kittens
Using the nursery rhyme, Three Little Kittens Who Lost Their Mittens, students to respond to a rhyme.
GRADE LEVEL EXPECTATIONS
R1B: Develop ability to hear and say separate sounds (phonemes) in words (phonemic awareness), produce rhyming words, isolate consonant sounds, blend onset and rime, and blend spoken phonemes.
R2B: Respond to rhythm, rhyme and alliteration in oral reading of poetry and prose.
§ Source of Literature
o Three Little Kittens Who Lost Their Mittens nursery rhyme
§ Handouts provided
§ Words to know
Make mental notes to be recorded later of students’ participation during the activity. At the end of this lesson, record your observations of how students respond to the nursery rhyme. Notes from this observation and others can be used to rate each student using the checklist at the end of this unit.
1. Gather in the read-aloud area gain attention of students by using a class signal.
2. Read the nursery rhyme, Three Little Kittens Who Lost Their Mittens. Model the directionality of the text while reading. Point under each word.
3. Discuss what happen to the kittens.
4. Ask students to give suggestions on what actions to use as you read the nursery rhyme (e.g., holding up three fingers, making hands like paws, etc.).
5. Re-read as a whole group adding actions.