LESSON FIVE: Determining Ideas and Adding Details
Using touchstone texts, model the importance of adding details to writing. Continue modeling using the graphic organizer.
R1F Apply pre-reading strategies to aid comprehension
W1A Write expository text with assistance, with main idea supporting details
§ Sources of Literature
o Writers notebooks
o Touchstone texts
§ Handouts provided
o TFDC Worksheet graphic organizer
o Scoring guide for students
§ Words to know
o graphic organizer
o exposition/expository writing
Students are assessed through teacher’s anecdotal records and by observing students’ graphic organizers.
1. Review topic sentences from previous day and revisit touchstone texts. Within the touchstone texts, identify examples of steps and details that explain the steps thoroughly.
2. Using the TFDC graphic organizer, the teacher models the step and detail process.
3. Review writer’s notebooks from day three (steps). Students should have a list of steps describing the process for their topic.
4. Students develop their ideas (ideas/steps/details).
5. While conferring with students, take anecdotal records.