How to Build a Tree House
This is a whole group lesson that will help students understand the concept of revision. This lesson also reiterates the importance of sequential order when using the expository form of writing. You will need sentence strips to complete this activity.
· Directions: Place each sentence on separate sentence strips. Put sentence strips in a mixed up order on the chalkboard. Sentences are missing key words such as transitions (see sample transition words page).
· Allow students to rearrange the sentence strips, adding and deleting words as necessary to make the paragraph sound better.
1) We used a rope to lift the wood up into the tree
2) My dad helped us frame the floor.
3) We nailed boards to the frame.
4) We had a picnic in our new tree house to celebrate!