Missouri Career Education

Get Adobe ReaderA note about viewing streaming video


Missouri HSE Transition

Special Issues

If you have barriers to employment, a Missouri Career Center may be able to help you get ready to work and find a job. They assist people on TANF, women in transition, CAP clients, ex-offenders, and people with other types of issues.  

The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation also helps people overcome barriers to employment through training and job placement. 


All Missouri Career Centers have Navigators to help people with disabilities navigate government systems and the process of finding a job.  To find the nearest Missouri Career Center, click here.  

To see videos of people who have overcome physical, psychological, or other barriers to follow their academic and vocational dreams, click here.

Mental Health

If you have mental health issues and want to attend college, the National Alliance on Mental Illness provides suggestions for choosing a college, getting support and finding scholarships.

Help for Immigrants and Refugees

If you are an immigrant or refugee in the United States, you need to follow some special steps to be able to attend college or work here. For information from the American government, click here. For a general description, read on. 

The first step in preparing for school or work in the U.S. is to learn to converse, read, and write well in English. Even if you already know English well, attending class can help you raise your skills to a more comfortable level for surviving in the workplace or classroom. You can attend free English classes for adults -- beginners to the most advanced non-native speakers.

If you have a high school credential from your native country, chances are good that American colleges will accept it toward their admission requirements. Likewise, a college degree from another country is usually acceptable for graduate school admissions. And most employers will accept foreign academic degrees to meet employment requirements. You may have to have your diploma and/or transcript translated and evaluated. The college may suggest an approved translation/evaluation agency, or see our list of services. For certain professionals, such as K12 teachers, accountants,  lawyers, and physicians, the professional licensing organization may require additional coursework or other training. For a list of professions governed by licensing organizations in Missouri, click here.

If you do not have a high school diploma from your native country, you can earn a High School Equivalency (HSE), which is a certificate of high school equivalency. To earn the High School Equivalency (HSE), you take tests in reading, language, math, science, and social studies. The High School Equivalency (HSE) certificate  meets the requirement for having a high school diploma for employment or admission to college. You can learn a lot you need to know for the High School Equivalency (HSE) test in your English class, but when your English is very good, you may need to study math, reading, writing, science, and social studies in a free adult education class.

Whatever your academic credentials, some universities and employers may require you to take a test of English proficiency. Admission or employment may depend on your score. The most common English proficienc test is the TOEFL. For free TOEFL preparation classes, see visit a class site near you.

Finally, to take the High School Equivalency (HSE) test, to work in the U.S., and often to attend school, you will need a social security number. To apply for a social security card, you need to visit a social security office. To find the office nearest you, check out the social security office locator.

How Do I Find?