MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
“Missouri public schools: the best choice… the best results!”
Vacancy Title: Assistant Commissioner
Job Order Number: 9765701
Domicile Location: Jefferson City
Section/Office: Office of Quality Schools
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Master’s degree (doctorate preferred) in educational administration.
Three years teaching and five years administrative experience in a public school setting is preferred.
(Other qualifications and experience, which in the opinion of the Commissioner of Education meet the requirements of the position may be accepted in lieu of the above.)
Understanding and knowledge of the principles, practices, and theories involved in the implementation, administration, and coordination of a state program to improve the quality of education.
Knowledge of state and federal laws and Department rules, regulations, and policies governing public education in Missouri.
Knowledge of public school education programs and administrative procedures.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the federal government, state agencies and departments, public officials, and educational organizations.
Ability to plan, direct, and supervise the work of a diversified staff of professional administrative, and clerical personnel, including the delegation of complex professional assignments to subordinates; and evaluate results for program efficiency and effectiveness.
Ability to speak effectively in public and express ideas clearly in writing.
The official domicile for this position is Jefferson City, Missouri. Travel will be required. Mileage expenses will be reimbursed at the approved rate.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, professional position established to coordinate Department-wide responsibilities in cooperation with the Deputy Commissioner of Learning Services and the Assistant Commissioners in the Offices of College and Career Readiness, Special Education, Educator Quality, Early and Extended Learning, Adult Learning and Rehabilitation Services, and Data System Management.
1. Responsible for programs designed to improve student achievement.
2. Directs and supervises local, state, and federally financed programs in accordance with the policies of the State Board of Education and Missouri statutes.
3. Supervises the professional and support staff of the Office in fulfilling statutory obligations and providing leadership and service to Department and the public schools of the state.
4. Directs and supervises all aspects of the Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP), the state mechanism for accreditation of school districts and the system of accountability for state and federal purposes.
5. Responsible for the direction and supervision of those assigned to the Office of Quality Schools.
6. Provides leadership in the development, coordination, and implementation of present programs and translates them into the Department’s and districts’ systems.
7. Reviews and advises on federal programs administered by sections in the Office to ensure conformity with the statutes, regulations, and guidelines.
8. Supervises and participates in the establishment and maintenance of working relationships with the federal government, state agencies and departments, and educational organizations.
9. Provides information on administrative and educational issues to the Commissioner, the Deputy Commissioner, and the State Board of Education.
10. Coordinates communication and coordination across Office program areas.
11. Coordinates appropriate interagency initiatives.
12. Serves on statewide committees.
13. Supervises the development and implementation of Department rules and regulations affecting the Office of Quality Schools.
14. Cooperates with other administrators to contribute to Department policy development and the strategic planning process.
15. Performs other duties as assigned by the Commissioner or the Deputy Commissioner.
Complete a DESE application online at http://www.dese.mo.gov/divadm/humanres/documents/Employment_Application_2005.pdf. Please attach a scanned copy of your transcripts with the application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your application is received online.
NOTE: If a college degree is a requirement for this position, transcripts MUST be submitted with the application in order to be considered for employment. Failure to include transcripts (when required for the position) with your application will eliminate the application from the review process.
We do not keep applications on file to submit for other vacant positions. You must submit an application for each vacant position you are applying for.
ANNUAL LEAVE: Accrue 10 hours per month for new full-time employees, longer term State employees can earn more. Prorated leave for part-time employees in eligible positions.
SICK LEAVE: Accrue 10 hours per month. Prorated leave for part-time employees in eligible positions.
HOLIDAYS: 12 holidays per year.
RETIREMENT: Coverage provided through the Missouri State Employees Retirement System (MOSERS).
LIFE INSURANCE: Term life insurance coverage, equal to one times employee's annual salary, through the Missouri State Employees Retirement System.
OPTIONAL LIFE INSURANCE: Optional term life insurance available with maximum coverage of six times member’s annual salary. Plans are also offered for spouse and dependents. Premiums paid by employee.
CAFETERIA PLAN: Easy tax savings on employee’s cost for qualified payroll-deducted insurance plans, medical care, and dependent care.
HEALTH PLANS: Employer-paid/subsidized plans available the first day of the following month after employment.
DENTAL PLANS: Delta Dental insurance coverage is available.
VISION PLAN: Vision Service Plan (VSP) is available.
DEFERRED COMPENSATION: A payroll deduction deferred compensation plan available to defer taxes until retirement by investing in mutual funds and a fixed income account is currently provided.
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have special needs addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Human Resources at (573) 751-9619, through Missouri Relay System at (800) 735-2966, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Our Applicants with Disabilities: For assistance with any phase of the Department process, please notify the Director of Human Resources at (573) 751-9619. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate special needs.
TTY/TDD users: Relay Missouri service (800) 735-2966.
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability in its programs and activities. Inquiries related to Department employment practices may be directed to the Jefferson State Office Building, Human Resources Director, 8th floor, 205 Jefferson Street, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0480; telephone number (573) 751-9619 or TYY (800) 735-2966.