MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
“Missouri public schools: the best choice… the best results!”
Vacancy Title: Director
Job Order Number: 9765690
Domicile Location: Jefferson City
Section/Office: Curriculum (Mathematics) / Office of College and Career Readiness
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Master’s degree with concentration in specified content area at the undergraduate level and significant coursework in content area at the graduate level.
A minimum of five (5) years of content area teaching experience at either the elementary or secondary levels.
Elementary certificate or secondary content area teaching certificate.
(Other qualifications and experience, which in the opinion of the Commissioner of Education meet the requirements of the position may be accepted in lieu of the above.)
This position is required to travel occasionally in-state or out-of-state with expenses reimbursed at the approved rate.
Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
· Provide technical assistance to school districts in developing and implementing more effective instruction in specialized area
· Organize and conduct high-quality professional development for teachers in implementing various strategies for teaching and evaluating content area competencies
· Develop procedures and publications designed to assist school districts in developing and implementing more effective PK-20 mathematics curriculum
· Provide leadership for development/refinement of mathematics documents and related instructional materials
· Provide leadership for implementing the requirements pertaining to mathematics as mandated by state/federal regulations or law
· Participate in the Missouri School Improvement Program review process and serve on other types of review teams as appropriate
· Act as mathematics liaison between the Department and other state and national organizations
· Act as Department mathematics resource to teacher preparation institutions
· Help local educators interpret and implement legislative and State Board policy requirements pertaining to content area
· Work with mathematics educators across the state to create and implement a strategic plan for PK-20 education
· Work with members of Statewide System of Support in planning, coordination, and implementation of curriculum and assessment strategic priorities
· Direct educators and stakeholders to appropriate resources for technical assistance in curriculum and assessment
· Provide mathematics expertise for the development and implementation of Missouri Assessment Program in specialized area:
o Item writing
o Content/bias review
o Creation of scoring materials: selection of examples, writing of annotations for scoring
o Form Selection
o Monitor Scoring
o Participation in field test Training Materials Review
o Assessment Manuals review/revision
o Achievement Level Descriptor writing/Standard Setting
· Act as the mathematics specialist for National Assessment of Educational Progress item review and provide NAEP resource information for state educators
· Perform other related work as assigned.
· Plan, organize, and coordinate Interface A and Interface B Conferences
· Serve as State Coordinator for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics Teaching—attend training meetings, process applications, organize selection committee, coordinate recognition of state finalists and national awardees
· Maintain membership in and serve in various leadership capacities (officer, committee member/chair) in state and national professional organizations—the Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and the Association of State Supervisor’s of Mathematics
· Collaborate/coordinate with other departments on specialized projects
· Prepare Commissioner reports
· Monitor mathematics content page on DESE website
· Serve on Department committees
· Prepare and/or present State Board reports
· Review national curriculum documents for alignment with state standards and assessment specifications
Complete a DESE application online at http://www.dese.mo.gov/divadm/humanres/documents/Employment_Application_2005.pdf. Please attach a scanned copy of your transcripts with the application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your application is received online.
NOTE: If a college degree is a requirement for this position, transcripts MUST be submitted with the application in order to be considered for employment. Failure to include transcripts (when required for the position) with your application will eliminate the application from the review process.
We do not keep applications on file to submit for other vacant positions. You must submit an application for each vacant position you are applying for.
ANNUAL LEAVE: Accrue 10 hours per month for new full-time employees, longer term State employees can earn more. Prorated leave for part-time employees in eligible positions.
SICK LEAVE: Accrue 10 hours per month. Prorated leave for part-time employees in eligible positions.
HOLIDAYS: 12 holidays per year.
RETIREMENT: Coverage provided through the Missouri State Employees Retirement System (MOSERS).
LIFE INSURANCE: Term life insurance coverage, equal to one times employee's annual salary, through the Missouri State Employees Retirement System.
OPTIONAL LIFE INSURANCE: Optional term life insurance available with maximum coverage of six times member’s annual salary. Plans are also offered for spouse and dependents. Premiums paid by employee.
CAFETERIA PLAN: Easy tax savings on employee’s cost for qualified payroll-deducted insurance plans, medical care, and dependent care.
HEALTH PLANS: Employer-paid/subsidized plans available the first day of the following month after employment.
DENTAL PLANS: Delta Dental insurance coverage is available.
VISION PLAN: Vision Service Plan (VSP) is available.
DEFERRED COMPENSATION: A payroll deduction deferred compensation plan available to defer taxes until retirement by investing in mutual funds and a fixed income account is currently provided.
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have special needs addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Human Resources at (573) 751-9619, through Missouri Relay System at (800) 735-2966, or via email at email@example.com.
To Our Applicants with Disabilities: For assistance with any phase of the Department process, please notify the Director of Human Resources at (573) 751-9619. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate special needs.
TTY/TDD users: Relay Missouri service (800) 735-2966.
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability in its programs and activities. Inquiries related to Department employment practices may be directed to the Jefferson State Office Building, Human Resources Director, 8th floor, 205 Jefferson Street, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0480; telephone number (573) 751-9619 or TYY (800) 735-2966.