Missouri School for the Blind
Yes (See benefits)
Examples of Work Performed
- This person is responsible, under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner of the Office of Special Education, the Commissioner, and State Board of Education, for planning, directing, and coordinating the academic, vocational, and extracurricular progr
- Supervises and provides leadership to MSB staff in the design, development, execution, and evaluation of a systemic plan to educate students and accelerate improvement of student outcomes, meet residential responsibilities, and improve outreach outcomes f
- Administers a program for staff development and educator evaluation consistent with state standards and requirements and aligned to the systemic plan.
- Recruits and recommends all personnel for employment to the State Board of Education.
- Coordinates development of the annual operating budget with the Division of Financial and Administrative Services and the Office of Special Education.
- Coordinates, plans, and directs meetings of the Missouri School for the Blind Board of Advisors.
- Works and communicates effectively with parents and patrons, including groups such as the Missouri School for the Blind’s Board of Advisors, Parent Advisory Council, MSB Alumni Association, and other stakeholder groups.
- Serves on advisory boards as assigned or appointed.
- Develops and initiates activities through MSB Outreach Services to assist local school districts in the education of students who are blind or visually impaired.
- Promotes and coordinates public relations programs designed to acquaint the general public with the Missouri School for the Blind.
- Follows all policies, rules, and regulations adopted by the Board and makes decisions consistent with Board policies.
- Assures compliance with all federal and state regulations governing MSB.
- Develops and directs transitional programs designed to prepare students who are blind or visually impaired for post-school living and employment.
- Coordinates the care and maintenance of buildings and grounds with the Office of Administration, Division of Facilities Management.
- Assumes other duties as assigned by the Assistant Commissioner or Commissioner of Education.
Education and Experience
- A Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in education of blind/visually impaired, special education, school administration and supervision, or a related field.
- Three years successful experience as an administrator of programs for students who are blind or visually impaired or school administration and supervision.
- Missouri certification in school administration or special education administration.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The person in this position is required to occasionally attend meetings in other locations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Microsoft Outlook.
- Knowledge of effective teaching and learning practices.
- Knowledge of the development, abilities, and unique needs of students who are blind or visually impaired.
- Knowledge of Missouri’s Learning Standards and Educator Standards.
- Knowledge of organization and administration in the area of special education.
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively implement collaborative data teams focused on using formative assessments to guide the use of effective teaching and learning practices.
- Ability to organize and analyze data as part of a focused strategic planning and implementation process.
- Ability to organize, supervise, and coordinate the activities of a professional staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to assume a leadership role with off-site supervision.
- Ability to apply effective fiscal and human resource policies and practices.
(Other qualifications and experience, which in the opinion of the Commissioner of Education meet the requirements of the position may be accepted in lieu of the above.)
Complete a DESE application online. Please attach a scanned copy of your transcripts with the application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your application is received online.
Note: If a college degree is a requirement for this position, transcripts must be submitted with the application in order to be considered for employment. Failure to include transcripts (when required for the position) with your application will eliminate the application from the review process.
We do not keep applications on file to submit for other vacant positions. You must submit an application for each vacant position you are applying for.