Gateway / Hubert Wheeler School
Examples of Work Performed
- Design and implement appropriate individualized education program for students with disabilities considering school, community and home learning environments.
- Analyze student’s learning style based upon charted progress and adapt teaching strategies and activities to meet the student’s specific educational needs.
- Choose age appropriate, functional and safe activities, materials, equipment and sites for teaching.
- Integrate appropriate related services into student’s day-to-day instructional program.
- Conduct parent conferences and staffings.
- Coordinate the design and implementation of behavioral support plans for students with challenging behaviors.
- Develop and follow instructionally time efficient daily schedule for implementation of students’ IEPs.
- Direct daily activities of teacher aide and classroom volunteers.
- Follow student specific special health care procedures as trained by the school nurse.
- Maintain safe environment for students.
- Communicate effectively in both written and oral forms, using correct grammar, punctuation, clarity and consistency of thought.
- Accurately complete required reports on or before established deadlines.
- Complete a professional development plan as required by certification or new employee status.
- Maintain confidentiality of parent, student and staff personally identifiable information.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, access information via the internet, and possess knowledge of assistive technology devices.
- Carry out daily self-care needs of students as needed (e.g., diapering, feeding, hand washing, tooth brushing, etc.)
- Maintain CPR certification at the level determined by the American Heart Association or Red Cross as Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers.
- Lift and move 50 pounds to include assisting in changing positions of students.
- Participate in staff development activities to keep skills updated and current.
- Infrequent travel for training and staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Missouri Teaching Certificate in an area of special education.
- Experience with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
(Other qualifications and experience, which in the opinion of the Commissioner of Education meet the requirements of the position may be accepted in lieu of the above.)
Submit an application to:
Area III Office
Applications can be accessed and electronically submitted via the internet at: