Evaluation: Program + Personnel = Results
This page is designed to provide you with information and resources to more effectively evaluate a comprehensive guidance program. PowerPoint presentations videos, sample templates, and summaries of results based projects conducted by practicing professional school counselors are available to assist you in developing your own evaluation plan as required by MSIP.
Comprehensive Guidance Program Evaluation: Introduction
This presentation provides you with an overview of the evaluation process for comprehensive guidance and counseling programs--a process that includes program evaluation, personnel evaluation and results evaluation.
Program Evaluation: Determining the Level of Implementation
The first aspect of evaluation asks the question, "To what extent is the guidance and counseling program fully implemented?" Fourth Cycle MSIP Standard 6.9 begins to address this question by outlining the necessary and essential components of a guidance and counseling program that is integral to the total educational process.
School counselors and administrators should first determine if the components are in place.
Once it is determined that the program components are in place, it is important to determine the degree of implementation. For example, there may be a guidance curriculum in place, but to what extent is it being delivered to students? The "Internal Improvement Review (IIR)" allows you to take an open and honest look at the degree to which their comprehensive guidance and counseling program is being implemented. The links below provide access to the IIR and to a presentation that guides you through the IIR process. The end result is an action plan for you to follow that will lead you toward a more fully implemented comprehensive guidance and counseling program.
- Internal Improvement Review Presentation
- Internal Improvement Review (doc) (xls)
- Internal Improvement Review for Career Centers
The following materials for the School Counselor Evaluation Process are aligned with the Missouri Educator Evaluation System. As with all guidance and counseling materials, districts are free to use and/or customize. School Counselors should be provided support and evaluated using tools designed for school counselors. Please contact Tom Schlimpert at [email protected] if you have suggestions for improving these materials, have questions, or would like to participate in the pilot project during the 2015/2016 school year.
- School Counselor Evaluation Presentation Power Point
- Counselor Evaluation - Complete Document
- Counselor Evaluation Protocol
- Growth Guide
- Possible Sources of Evidence
- Growth Plan
- Growth Plan Example
- Improvement Plan
- Feedback Forms
- Summative Evaluation Form
- Evaluation Protocol (see my 10.1.15 version)
- Practices - Year 1
- Practices - Year 2
- Feedback Forms - Year 1
- Feedback Forms - Year 2
- Summative Evaluation Form - Years 1 and 2
(PRoBE: Partnerships in Results Based Evaluation)
This section consists of three segments:
- A Series of Short Courses that introduce school counselors to the evaluation model, Program + Personnel = Results and then guides them in development of a results-based project.
- A Series of Videos that demonstrate further how to use Microsoft Excel to analyze data ("IDEAS and Data Analysis for School Counselors").
- A listing of Actual PRoBE Projects that have been complete by practicum students and full-time school counselors.