English Language Arts Resources
- A Guide to Creating Quality Assessments
- Grade-Level Released Items
- SBAC ELA Claims and Targets
- Show-Me Standards
- Model Curriculum
- Learning Progressions
- Text Complexity Rubric - Literary
- Text Complexity Rubric - Informational
Textbook Review Instrument
|Textbook Review Instrument|
Assessment Scoring Guides for Writing
SBAC Grades 3-8
ENGLISH I and II
Archived Articles/Hot Topics/Research
- ELA Common Core Resources For Elementary Educators From Edutopia
- Literacy Unpacked: What Do We Mean By Literacy?
- Interesting article by husband and wife team Liben and Liben. ‘Both and’ Literacy Instruction K-5: A Proposed Paradigm Shift for the Common Core State Standards ELA Classroom
- Let Them Read Stories by Ariel Sack
- Sarah Tantillo has written two articles: Tools to Unpack the ELA Common Core Standards and The #1 Close Reading Skill.
- Text-complexity is a hot topic. This site provides information and samples.
- Free and public domain books and materials can be found at:
- Common Core In Action: Narrative Writing from Edutopia
- Need student writing samples complete with annotations? Try this: In Common: Effective Writing for all Students
- The Aspen Institute recently produced Tools for Teachers: Engaging in Academic Writing. They've included all sorts of fantastic resources.
- Success at the Core has developed 24 strategies that include videos, lesson plans, and handouts.
- Consider Fisher and Frey’s: Considerations for Selecting Vocabulary Words.
- Todd Finley wrote: 8 Strategies for Teaching Academic Language
Sharing with Stakeholders
- Looking for a way to share with parents the rigor of the new assessments? Check out what this school did.
- Missouri teachers are helping Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium produce the Digital Library for Formative Assessments. If you’d like to know more, here’s a great video describing the quality criteria for all uploaded resources.
Missouri Learning Standards
- Interested in the process taken to write the CCSS? Watch this video produced by Sue Pimentel who helped co-author the standards:Vimeo.com/76725406
- Formative assessment matters! In fact, it’s among the most important features of a successful classroom: 'Quick and Easy' Formative Assessment Helps Fuel A Thriving New Market