English Language Arts Resources
- A Guide to Creating Quality Assessments
- Grade-Level Released Items
- SBAC ELA Claims and Targets
- Show-Me Standards
- Model Curriculum
- Learning Progressions
- Text Complexity Rubric - Literary
- Text Complexity Rubric - Informational
Achievement Level Descriptors
Textbook Review Instrument
|Textbook Review Instrument|
Assessment Scoring Guides for Writing
SBAC Grades 3-8
ENGLISH I and II
Archived Articles/Hot Topics/Research
- ELA Common Core Resources For Elementary Educators From Edutopia
- Literacy Unpacked: What Do We Mean By Literacy?
- Interesting article by husband and wife team Liben and Liben. ‘Both and’ Literacy Instruction K-5: A Proposed Paradigm Shift for the Common Core State Standards ELA Classroom
- Let Them Read Stories by Ariel Sack
- Sarah Tantillo has written two articles: Tools to Unpack the ELA Common Core Standards and The #1 Close Reading Skill.
- Text-complexity is a hot topic. This site provides information and samples.
- Free and public domain books and materials can be found at:
- Common Core In Action: Narrative Writing from Edutopia
- Need student writing samples complete with annotations? Try this: In Common: Effective Writing for all Students
- The Aspen Institute recently produced Tools for Teachers: Engaging in Academic Writing. They've included all sorts of fantastic resources.
- Success at the Core has developed 24 strategies that include videos, lesson plans, and handouts.
- Consider Fisher and Frey’s: Considerations for Selecting Vocabulary Words.
- Todd Finley wrote: 8 Strategies for Teaching Academic Language
Sharing with Stakeholders
- Looking for a way to share with parents the rigor of the new assessments? Check out what this school did.
- Missouri teachers are helping Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium produce the Digital Library for Formative Assessments. If you’d like to know more, here’s a great video describing the quality criteria for all uploaded resources.
Missouri Learning Standards
- Interested in the process taken to write the CCSS? Watch this video produced by Sue Pimentel who helped co-author the standards:Vimeo.com/76725406
- Formative assessment matters! In fact, it’s among the most important features of a successful classroom: 'Quick and Easy' Formative Assessment Helps Fuel A Thriving New Market
Early Learning Outcomes
Interested in measuring reading proficiency? This fast facts sheet from CEELO (Center on Enhancing Early Learning Outcomes) has produced a facts sheet with lots of helpful links and research.
What You Need to Know Before Letting Your Kids Read E-Books
Time, April 28
Many of you are fans of the Teachers’ College Reading and Writing Project (think Lucy Calkins). Are you aware of the video collection of teachers in action?